Friday 8 June 2012

Mum-Ma-Mia! Slow that cooking down!


Slow cooked Italian Beef Stew.

On my days off from work I like to cook things that I’ve not tried before, or different ways of doing things. After recently receiving a slow cooker, I thought I’d try and do as much slow-cooked meals as possible, because they taste so much better!

Overall it took a good four hours to make, but that’s not bad because once it’s in the oven, its just a case of going back every 20-30 minutes to give a stir.

Ingredients:
400g Beef braising steak
1x red onion
1x onion
6x cloves of garlic
100g mushrooms
1x courgette
2x peppers (one red, one yellow)
2x tinned tomoatoes (400g each)
Basil
Rosemary

Start of with a large frying pan, heating up some olive oil. Once heated, add in both slices of onion. Gently cook on a low heat.
After about 10 mins, add in all of your finely chopped garlic.
After allowing the garlic to release its flavour, add in your beef. Remember to keep it on a low heat, you’re not really cooking here, just mixing with heat!
Season the meat generously with rosemary, basil, and a little salt.
Add in peppers, courgette.
Once everything is all in together, transfer to your oven-proof dish.
This is where you can add your two tins of tomatoes.
Place in pre-heated oven, should be about 110 degrees.
Pop back every so often, to keep an eye on the delicious pot of food.

What I think:
The food being slow cooked was so much tastier! The originally tough beef melted in my mouth! The whole dish tasted incredibly rich and full of flavour. Will be making again at some point for definite! If only I didn’t need to make sure I was in for the whole afternoon!  Tastes wonderful with some really good quality, fresh bread. Easy 10/10!

No comments:

Post a Comment