Tuesday 1 May 2012

Red Lentil and Apricot Påté


Red Lentil and Apricot Påté

100% that it tastes so much better than it looks!
When I was vegetarian I always used to eat lentil påté, made by cauldron, but recently I’ve not seen it anywhere! So with the knowledge that lentil works will as a pate I have decided to try and make some for myself. I spent a while mumming and ahhhing into my cupboards deciding what ingredients to throw into the mix, and finally decided on a few spices and apricots.

Ingredients:
  • 1 onion
  • 2 cloves of garlic
  • 180 g dried red lentils
  • 800ml vegetable stock
  • 5 dried apricots
  • 2 teaspoons of sunflower spread
  • 2 teaspoons of ras-el-hanout
  • 1 teaspoon of garma masala
  • 1 teaspoon of cumin



Directions:
Brown onions and garlic in oil.
Add in spices.
Add the dried red lentils, along with 800ml of vegetable stock.
Leave to cook, stirring occasionally for 15-20 mins
When the lentils have absorbed the majority of the water, get a sift and squeeze away excess water
Add 2 teaspoon of sunflower spread/ marge
Using a hand processor, blend the mix until it forms a smooth paste
Put mix in greased tin
Cover, and cook for 30-40 mins at 180 degrees.

What I think:
It’s not the most attractive thing I’ve ever concocted in the kitchen, but it is high up there on my list of tasty things. Especially tasty things that I can eat at breakfast! I was hoping the lentils would hold their colour a wee bit more, but that is my only disappointment.  The texture is spot on and it’s easy to spread. 

1 comment:

  1. omg this must be soo tasty :)
    thank you for sharing the recipe!

    http://bubblemylicorice.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete